Traditionally, Green Beans have been prepared by boiling,which not only dilutes their flavor but also results in a greater potential for loss of nutrients. That's why I recommend "Quick Steaming" Green Beans. With "Quick Steaming" you will not only enjoy more of their health-promoting nutrients, but much more of their naturally great flavor. Taken from page 305 of the 2nd edition of the World's Healthiest Foods book.
Prep and Cook Time: 7 minutes
- 1 lb green beans
- Mediterranean Dressing
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 medium cloves garlic, pressed or finely chopped
- 3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 3 TBS goat cheese
- 2 TBS sliced almonds
- 4-5 drops soy sauce
- 1 TBS sliced sun dried tomatoes
- 2 TBS roasted red bell peppers
- 1 TBS chopped basil
- Chop or press garlic and let sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Fill the bottom of the steamer with 2 inches of water.
- While steam is building up in steamer, cut off the ends of the Green Beans that had been attached to the stem. I recommend cooking Green Beans whole and
cutting into pieces after cooking.
- Steam, covered with a tight fitting lid, for 7 minutes or until tender. They are fork tender when they are done.
- Transfer to a bowl. For more flavor, toss Green Beans with the remaining ingredients while they are still hot. (Mediterranean Dressing does not need to be made separately.) Research shows that fat-soluble vitamins and carotenoids found in foods, such as Green Beans, may be better absorbed when consumed with fat-containing foods like extra virgin olive oil.