3-Minute "Healthy Sautéed" Green PeasGarden Peas have been shelled and are widely available frozen. "Healthy Sautéing" Peas is a revolutionary way to enhance their mildy sweet flavor while, at the same time, increasing the likelihood of retaining more of their health-promoting nutrients. (Taken from page 319 of the 2nd Edition of the World's Healthiest Foods book.)
Prep and Cook Time: 3 minutes
- 10 oz frozen Garden Peas
- 3 TBS low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth, or water
- Mediterranean Dressing
- 3 TBS extra virgin olive oil (or to taste)
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 medium clove garlic, pressed or finely chopped
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Note: If you want to keep the color of your Peas bright green, omit the lemon juice.
- Chop or press garlic and let it sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Heat 3 TBS broth or water in a stainless steel skillet over medium heat if using a medium-size burner or medium-low heat if using a large burner.
- Watch broth closely as it will begin to steam in a few seconds.
- As soon as liquid begins to steam, add frozen Green Peas and cover with a tight fitting lid and cook for 3 minutes. They should be bright green when they are done. You are cooking to warm the Green Peas as they were cooked before being frozen.
- Transfer to a bowl. For more flavor toss Green Peas with the Dressing ingredients while they are still hot. (Mediterranean Dressing does not need to be made separately.) Research shows that fat-soluble vitamins and carotenoids found in foods, such as Green Peas, may be better absorbed when consumed with fat-containing foods like extra virgin olive oil.