Each and every month at WHFoods, we rely on hundreds of research studies to keep you up-to-date on scientific information about food, nutrition, and health. (For more information about the role of science in our website content, please see Our Approach to Science Research
). Among the featured sections of our website are 100 food profiles and 31 nutrient profiles. In terms of scientific review, we make these profiles one of our website priorities. In each of these profiles, you will find a dedicated References section that contains an alphabetized list of key scientific references involving that particular food or nutrient. In order to make all of these key food and nutrient research references available to you in a single place, we created this WHFoods Reference Library. You can use the radio buttons below to start with either Foods or Nutrients. Then simply choose the specific food or nutrient of interest, and click on it to obtain an alphabetized list of key research references.
Foods & Spices
Nuts & Seeds
Beans & Legumes
Poultry & Meats
Eggs & Dairy
Herbs & Spices
Mushrooms, crimini references
- Adams LS, Phung S, Wu X et al. White button mushroom (Agaricus bisporus) exhibits antiproliferative and proapoptotic properties and inhibits prostate tumor growth in athymic mice. Nutr Cancer. 2008;60(6):744-56. 2008.
- Akbarirad H, Kazemeini SM, and Shariaty MA. Deterioration and some of applied preservation techniques for common mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus, followed by Lentinus edodes, Pleurotus spp.). Journal of Microbiology, Biotechnology and Food Sciences, 2013, 2, 6, pp. 2398-2402.
- Arora B. Effect of cooking on antioxidant activity and phenolic content of various species of edible mushrooms of India. Proceedings of 8th International Conference on Mushroom Biology and Mushroom Products (ICMBMP8), New Delhi, India, 19-22 November 2014. Volume I & II, 2014, pp. 576-581.
- Calvo MS, Mehrotra A, Beelman RB, et al. A Retrospective Study in Adults with Metabolic Syndrome: Diabetic Risk Factor Response to Daily Consumption of Agaricus bisporus (White Button Mushrooms). Plant Foods Hum Nutr. 2016 Sep;71(3):245-51.
- Caz V, Gil-Ramirez A, Largo C, et al. Modulation of Cholesterol-Related Gene Expression by Dietary Fiber Fractions from Edible Mushrooms. J Agric Food Chem. 2015 Aug 26;63(33):7371-80.
- Chandra L, Alexander H, Traoré D et al. White button and shiitake mushrooms reduce the incidence and severity of collagen-induced arthritis in dilute brown non-agouti mice. J Nutr. 2011 Jan;141(1):131-6. Epub 2010 Nov 24. 2011.
- Chen S, Oh SR, Phung S et al. Anti-Aromatase Activity of Phytochemicals in White Button Mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus). Cancer Res., Dec 2006; 66: 12026 - 12034. 2006.
- Grube BJ, Eng ET, Kao YC et al. White Button Mushroom Phytochemicals Inhibit Aromatase Activity and Breast Cancer Cell Proliferation. J. Nutr., Dec 2001; 131: 3288 - 3293. 2001.
- Jeong SC, Koyyalamudi SR, and Pang G. Dietary intake of Agaricus bisporus white button mushroom accelerates salivary immunoglobulin A secretion in healthy volunteers. Nutrition. 2012 May;28(5):527-31.
- Jeong SC, Koyyalamudi SR, Jeong YT, et al. Macrophage immunomodulating and antitumor activities of polysaccharides isolated from Agaricus bisporus white button mushrooms. J Med Food. 2012 Jan;15(1):58-65.
- Jeong SC, Jeong YT, Yang BK et al. White button mushroom (Agaricus bisporus) lowers blood glucose and cholesterol levels in diabetic and hypercholesterolemic rats. Nutr Res. 2010 Jan;30(1):49-56. 2010.
- Khan AA, Gani A, Masoodi FA, et al. Antioxidant and functional properties of beta-glucan extracted from edible mushrooms Agaricus bisporus, Pleurotus ostreatus and Coprinus atramentarius. Proceedings of 8th International Conference on Mushroom Biology and Mushroom Products (ICMBMP8), New Delhi, India, 19-22 November 2014. Volume I & II, 2014, pp. 210-214.
- Kim MY, Seguin P, Ahn JK et al. Phenolic compound concentration and antioxidant activities of edible and medicinal mushrooms from Korea. J Agric Food Chem. 2008 Aug 27;56(16):7265-70. Epub 2008 Jul 11. 2008.
- Komura DL, Carbonero ER, Gracher AH et al. Structure of Agaricus spp. fucogalactans and their anti-inflammatory and antinociceptive properties. Bioresour Technol. 2010 Aug;101(15):6192-9. Epub 2010 Apr 2. 2010.
- Koyyalamudi SR, Jeong SC, Cho KY, et al. Vitamin B12 Is the Active Corrinoid Produced in Cultivated White Button Mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus). J. Agric. Food Chem., 2009, 57 (14), pp. 6327—6333.
- Martin KR and Brophy SK. Commonly consumed and specialty dietary mushrooms reduce cellular proliferation in MCF-7 human breast cancer cells. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2010 Nov 1;235(11):1306-14. Epub 2010 Oct 4. 2010.
- Martin KR. Both common and specialty mushrooms inhibit adhesion molecule expression and in vitro binding of monocytes to human aortic endothelial cells in a pro-inflammatory environment. Nutr J. 2010 Jul 16;9:29. 2010.
- Mohapatra D, Bira ZM, Kerry JP et al. Postharvest hardness and color evolution of white button mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus). J Food Sci. 2010 Apr;75(3):E146-52. 2010.
- Muszynska B, Kala K, Rojowski J, et al. Composition and biological properties of Agaricus bisporus fruiting bodies - a review. Polish Journal of Food and Nutrition Sciences, 2017, 67, 3, pp. 173-181.
- Phung S, Ye J, Hur G et al. White button mushrooms and prostate cancer prevention. AACR Meeting Abstracts, Apr 2005; 2005: 1221. 2005.
- Radzki W, Slawinska A, Jablonska-Rys E, et al. Effect of blanching and cooking on antioxidant capacity of cultivated edible mushrooms: a comparative study. International Food Research Journal, 2016, 23, 2, pp. 599-605.
- Ramkumar L, Ramanathan T, Thirunavukkarasu P et al. Antioxidant and Radical Scavenging Activity of Nine Edible Mushrooms Extract. International Journal of Pharmacology Year: 2010 Vol: 6 Issue: 6 Pages/record No.: 950-953. 2010.
- Ren Z, Guo Z, Meydani SN and Wu D. White button mushroom enhances maturation of bone marrow-derived dendritic cells and their antigen presenting function in mice. J Nutr. 2008 Mar;138(3):544-50. 2008.
- Ruthes AC, Rattmann YD, Malquevicz-Paiva SM, et al. Agaricus bisporus fucogalactan: structural characterization and pharmacological approaches. Carbohydr Polym. 2013 Jan 30;92(1):184-91.
- Shao S, Hernandez M, Kramer JK et al. Ergosterol profiles, fatty acid composition, and antioxidant activities of button mushrooms as affected by tissue part and developmental stage. J Agric Food Chem. 2010 Nov 24;58(22):11616-25. Epub 2010 Oct 20. 2010.
- Smiderle FR, Sassaki GL, van Arkel J et al. High molecular weight glucan of the culinary medicinal mushroom Agaricus bisporus is an alpha-glucan that forms complexes with low molecular weight galactan. Molecules. 2010 Aug 25;15(8):5818-30. 2010.
- Thangthaeng N, Miller MG, Gomes SM, et al. Daily supplementation with mushroom (Agaricus bisporus) improves balance and working memory in aged rats. Nutrition Research, Volume 35, Issue 12, December 2015, pages 1079-1084.
- Um MY, Park JH, Gwon SY, et al. Agaricus bisporus attenuates dextran sulfate sodium-induced colitis. J Med Food. 2014 Dec;17(12):1383-5.
- Weigand-Heller AJ, Kris-Etherton PM, and Beelman RB. The bioavailability of ergothioneine from mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus) and the acute effects on antioxidant capacity and biomarkers of inflammation. Prev Med. 2012 May;54 Suppl:S75-8.
- Wu D, Pae M, Ren Z et al. Dietary supplementation with white button mushroom enhances natural killer cell activity in C57BL/6 mice. J Nutr. 2007 Jun;137(6):1472-7. 2007.
- You WX, Cui TJ, and Juan W. Effect of precooling temperature on physiological quality of cold stored Agaricus bisporus. International Journal of Agricultural and Biological Engineering , 2014, 7, 2, pp. 108-114.
- Yu S, Weaver V, Martin K et al. The effects of whole mushrooms during inflammation. BMC Immunol. 2009 Feb 20;10:12. 2009.
- Xu T, Beelman RB, and Lambert JD. The cancer preventive effects of edible mushrooms. Anticancer Agents Med Chem. 2012 Dec;12(10):1255-63.
- Zhu BZ, Mao L, Fan RM et al. Ergothioneine prevents copper-induced oxidative damage to DNA and protein by forming a redox-inactive ergothioneine-copper complex. Chem Res Toxicol. 2011 Jan 14;24(1):30-4. Epub 2010 Nov 3. 2011.