Each and every month at WHFoods, we rely on hundreds of research studies to keep you up-to-date on scientific information about food, nutrition, and health. (For more information about the role of science in our website content, please see Our Approach to Science Research
). Among the featured sections of our website are 100 food profiles and 31 nutrient profiles. In terms of scientific review, we make these profiles one of our website priorities. In each of these profiles, you will find a dedicated References section that contains an alphabetized list of key scientific references involving that particular food or nutrient. In order to make all of these key food and nutrient research references available to you in a single place, we created this WHFoods Reference Library. You can use the radio buttons below to start with either Foods or Nutrients. Then simply choose the specific food or nutrient of interest, and click on it to obtain an alphabetized list of key research references.
Foods & Spices
Nuts & Seeds
Beans & Legumes
Poultry & Meats
Eggs & Dairy
Herbs & Spices
Squash, winter references
- Bahado-Singh PS, Wheatley AO et al. Food processing methods influence the glycaemic indices of some commonly eaten West Indian carbohydrate-rich foods. Br J Nutr. 2006 Sep;96(3):476-81. 2006.
- Bermudez OI, Ribaya-Mercado JD, Talegawkar SA et al. Hispanic and Non-Hispanic White Elders from Massachusetts Have Different Patterns of Carotenoid Intake and Plasma Concentrations. The Journal of Nutrition. Bethesda: Jun 2005. Vol. 135, Iss. 6; p. 1496-1502. 2005.
- Choi H, Eo H, Park K et al. A water-soluble extract from Cucurbita moschata shows anti-obesity effects by controlling lipid metabolism in a high fat diet-induced obesity mouse model. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007 Aug 3;359(3):419-25. Epub 2007 May 25. Erratum in: Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008 Feb 1;366(1):269. 2007.
- Cofield N, Schwab AP and Banks MK. Phytoremediation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in soil: part I. Dissipation of target contaminants. International Journal of Phytoremediation. Boca Raton: 2007. Vol. 9, Iss. 4-6; pg. 355-370. 2007.
- De Stefani E, Correa P, Boffetta P et al. Dietary patterns and risk of gastric cancer: a case-control study in Uruguay. Gastric Cancer. 2004;7(4):211-20. 2004.
- Duangjai A, Ingkaninan K and Limpeanchob N. Potential mechanisms of hypocholesterolaemic effect of Thai spices/dietary extracts. Nat Prod Res. 2010 Jul 8:1-12. [Epub ahead of print]. 2010.
- Fissore EN, Ponce NM, de Escalada Pla M et al. Characterization of acid-extracted pectin-enriched products obtained from red beet (Beta vulgaris L. var. conditiva) and butternut (Cucurbita moschata Duch ex Poiret). J Agric Food Chem. 2010 Mar 24;58(6):3793-800. 2010.
- Jacobsen KL and Jordan CF. Effects of restorative agroecosystems on soil characteristics and plant production on a degraded soil in the Georgia Piedmont, USA. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems. Cambridge: Sep 2009. Vol. 24, Iss. 3; p. 186-197. 2009.
- Jayaprakasam B, Seeram NP and Nair MG. Anticancer and antiinflammatory activities of cucurbitacins from Cucurbita andreana. Cancer Lett. 2003 Jan 10;189(1):11-16. 2003.
- Li FS, Xu J, Dou DQ et al. Structures of new phenolic glycosides from the seeds of Cucurbita moschata. Nat Prod Commun. 2009 Apr;4(4):511-2. 2009.
- Nara K, Yamaguchi A, Maeda N et al. Antioxidative activity of water soluble polysaccharide in pumpkin fruits (Cucurbita maxima Duchesne). Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2009 Jun;73(6):1416-8. Epub 2009 Jun 7. 2009.
- Nosálová G, Prisenznáková L, Kostálová Z et al. Suppressive effect of pectic polysaccharides from Cucurbita pepo L. var. Styriaca on citric acid-induced cough reflex in guinea pigs. Fitoterapia. 2010 Nov 7. [Epub ahead of print]. 2010.
- Priyadarshani AM and Chandrika UG. Content and in-vitro accessibility of pro-vitamin A carotenoids from Sri Lankan cooked non-leafy vegetables and their estimated contribution to vitamin A requirement. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2007 Dec;58(8):659-667. 2007.
- Quanhong L, Caili F, Yukui R et al. Effects of protein-bound polysaccharide isolated from pumpkin on insulin in diabetic rats. Plant Foods Hum Nutr. 2005 Mar;60(1):13-16. 2005.
- Wang DC, Pan HY, Deng XM et al. Cucurbitane and hexanorcucurbitane glycosides from the fruits of Cucurbita pepo cv dayangua. J Asian Nat Prod Res. 2007 Sep-Dec;9(6-8):525-9. 2007.
- Xia T and Wang Q. D-chiro-inositol found in Cucurbita ficifolia (Cucurbitaceae) fruit extracts plays the hypoglycaemic role in streptozocin-diabetic rats. J Pharm Pharmacol. 2006 Nov;58(11):1527-32. 2006.