Each and every month at WHFoods, we rely on hundreds of research studies to keep you up-to-date on scientific information about food, nutrition, and health. (For more information about the role of science in our website content, please see Our Approach to Science Research
). Among the featured sections of our website are 100 food profiles and 31 nutrient profiles. In terms of scientific review, we make these profiles one of our website priorities. In each of these profiles, you will find a dedicated References section that contains an alphabetized list of key scientific references involving that particular food or nutrient. In order to make all of these key food and nutrient research references available to you in a single place, we created this WHFoods Reference Library. You can use the radio buttons below to start with either Foods or Nutrients. Then simply choose the specific food or nutrient of interest, and click on it to obtain an alphabetized list of key research references.
Foods & Spices
Nuts & Seeds
Beans & Legumes
Poultry & Meats
Eggs & Dairy
Herbs & Spices
Squash, winter references
- Bahado-Singh PS, Wheatley AO et al. Food processing methods influence the glycaemic indices of some commonly eaten West Indian carbohydrate-rich foods. Br J Nutr. 2006 Sep;96(3):476-81. 2006
- Bahramsoltani R, Farzaei MH, Abdolghaffari AH, et al. Evaluation of phytochemicals, antioxidant and burn wound healing activities of Cucurbita moschata Duchesne fruit peel. Iran J Basic Med Sci. 2017 Jul;20(7):798-805.
- Buchanan AL, Kolb LN, and Hooks CRR. Can winter cover crops influence weed density and diversity in a reduced tillage vegetable system? Crop Protection, Volume 90, December 2016, pages 9-16.
- Choi H, Eo H, Park K et al. A water-soluble extract from Cucurbita moschata shows anti-obesity effects by controlling lipid metabolism in a high fat diet-induced obesity mouse model. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007 Aug 3;359(3):419-25. Epub 2007 May 25. Erratum in: Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008 Feb 1;366(1):269. 2007.
- Conti S, Villari G, Amico E, et al. Effects of production system and transplanting time on yield, quality and antioxidant content of organic winter squash (Cucurbita moschata Duch.) Scientia Horticulturae, Volume 183, 12 February 2015, pages 136-143.
- Geisler M. (2014). Squash. Agricultural Marketing Resource Center, Iowa State University, Ames, IO. In conjunction with the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Rural Development Program.
- Jacobo-Valenzuela NB, Marostica-Junior R, Zazueta-Morales JdJ, et al. Physicochemical, technological properties, and health-benefits of Cucurbita moschata Duchense vs. Cehualca: A ReviewReview Article Food Research International, Volume 44, Issue 9, November 2011, pages 2587-2593.
- Jaswir I, Shahidan N, Othman R, et al. Effects of season and storage period on accumulation of individual carotenoids in pumpkin flesh (Cucurbita moschata). J Oleo Sci. 2014;63(8):761-7.
- Kates HR, Soltis PS, and Soltis DE. Evolutionary and domestication history of Cucurbita (pumpkin and squash) species inferred from 44 nuclear loci. Mol Phylogenet Evol. 2017 Jun;111:98-109.
- Kim HY, Nam SY, Yang SY, et al. Cucurbita moschata Duch. and its active component, β-carotene effectively promote the immune responses through the activation of splenocytes and macrophages. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol. 2016 Oct;38(5):319-26.
- Konopacka D, Seroczynska A, Korzeniewska A, et al. Studies on the usefulness of Cucurbita maxima for the production of ready-to-eat dried vegetable snacks with a high carotenoid content. LWT - Food Science and Technology, Volume 43, Issue 2, March 2010, pages 302-309.
- Nara K, Yamaguchi A, Maeda N et al. Antioxidative activity of water soluble polysaccharide in pumpkin fruits (Cucurbita maxima Duchesne). Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2009 Jun;73(6):1416-8. Epub 2009 Jun 7. 2009.
- Priori D, Valduga E, Villela JCB, et al. Characterization of bioactive compounds, antioxidant activity and minerals in landraces of pumpkin (Cucurbita moschata) cultivated in Southern Brazil. Food Science and Technology (Campinas), 2017, 37, 1, pages 33-40.
- Priyadarshani AM and Chandrika UG. Content and in-vitro accessibility of pro-vitamin A carotenoids from Sri Lankan cooked non-leafy vegetables and their estimated contribution to vitamin A requirement. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2007 Dec;58(8):659-667. 2007.
- Ratnayake RM, Sims IM, Newman RH, et al. Effects of cooking on the cell walls (dietary fiber) of 'Scarlet Warren' winter squash ( Cucurbita maxima ) studied by polysaccharide linkage analysis and solid-state (13)C NMR. J Agric Food Chem. 2011 Jul 13;59 (13):7186-93.
- Zaccari F, Cabrera MC, and Saadoun A. Foods. Glucose Content and In Vitro Bioaccessibility in Sweet Potato and Winter Squash Varieties during Storage. 2017 Jun 30;6(7).
- Zaccari F and Galietta G. alpha-Carotene and beta-Carotene Content in Raw and Cooked Pulp of Three Mature Stage Winter Squash "Type Butternut". Foods. 2015 Sep 18;4(3):477-486.
- Zhang X, Wang X, Chen N, et al. Pectin — accumulation during winter squash growth and differences among varieties. Scientia Horticulturae, Volume 179, 24 November 2014, pages 46-50.