Each and every month at WHFoods, we rely on hundreds of research studies to keep you up-to-date on scientific information about food, nutrition, and health. (For more information about the role of science in our website content, please see Our Approach to Science Research
). Among the featured sections of our website are 100 food profiles and 31 nutrient profiles. In terms of scientific review, we make these profiles one of our website priorities. In each of these profiles, you will find a dedicated References section that contains an alphabetized list of key scientific references involving that particular food or nutrient. In order to make all of these key food and nutrient research references available to you in a single place, we created this WHFoods Reference Library. You can use the radio buttons below to start with either Foods or Nutrients. Then simply choose the specific food or nutrient of interest, and click on it to obtain an alphabetized list of key research references.
Foods & Spices
Nuts & Seeds
Beans & Legumes
Poultry & Meats
Eggs & Dairy
Herbs & Spices
- Agricultural Research Service. "Phytochemical Profilers Investigate Potato Benefits,". ,"Agricultural Research, September 2007. 2007.
- Breithaupt DE, Bamedi A. Carotenoids and carotenoid esters in potatoes (Solanum tuberosum L.): new insights into an ancient vegetable. J Agric Food Chem. 2002 Nov 20;50(24):7175-81. 2002.
- Ensminger AH, Ensminger, ME, Kondale JE, Robson JRK. Foods & Nutriton Encyclopedia. Pegus Press, Clovis, California. 1983.
- Ensminger AH, Esminger M. K. J. e. al. Food for Health: A Nutrition Encyclopedia. Clovis, California: Pegus Press; 1986. 1986. PMID:15210.
- Fortin, Francois, Editorial Director. The Visual Foods Encyclopedia. Macmillan, New York. 1996.
- Liu YW, Han CH, Lee MH et al. Patatin, the Tuber Storage Protein of Potato (Solanum tuberosum L.), Exhibits Antioxidant Activity in Vitro. J Agric Food Chem. 2003 Jul 16;51(15):4389-93. 2003.
- Parr A, Mellon F, Colquhoun I, Davies H. Dihydrocaffeoyl Polyamines (Kukoamine and Allies) in Potato (Solanum tuberosum) Tubers Detected during Metabolite Profiling. J Agric. Food Chem, 53 (13), 5461 -5466, 2005. 2005.
- Tudela JA, Cantos E, Espin JC et al. Induction of antioxidant flavonol biosynthesis in fresh-cut potatoes. Effect of domestic cooking. J Agric Food Chem. 2002 Oct 9;50(21):5925-31. 2002.
- Wood, Rebecca. The Whole Foods Encyclopedia. New York, NY: Prentice-Hall Press; 1988. 1988. PMID:15220.