Each and every month at WHFoods, we rely on hundreds of research studies to keep you up-to-date on scientific information about food, nutrition, and health. (For more information about the role of science in our website content, please see Our Approach to Science Research
). Among the featured sections of our website are 100 food profiles and 31 nutrient profiles. In terms of scientific review, we make these profiles one of our website priorities. In each of these profiles, you will find a dedicated References section that contains an alphabetized list of key scientific references involving that particular food or nutrient. In order to make all of these key food and nutrient research references available to you in a single place, we created this WHFoods Reference Library. You can use the radio buttons below to start with either Foods or Nutrients. Then simply choose the specific food or nutrient of interest, and click on it to obtain an alphabetized list of key research references.
Foods & Spices
Nuts & Seeds
Beans & Legumes
Poultry & Meats
Eggs & Dairy
Herbs & Spices
- Anter J, de Abreu-Abreu N, Fernandez-Bedmar Z et al. Targets of red grapes: oxidative damage of DNA and leukaemia cells. Nat Prod Commun. 2011 Jan;6(1):59-64. 2011.
- Bertelli AA and Das DK. Grapes, wines, resveratrol, and heart health. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2009 Dec;54(6):468-76. 2009.
- Bertoldi D, Larcher R, Bertamini M et al. Accumulation and Distribution Pattern of Macro- and Microelements and Trace Elements in Vitis vinifera L. cv. Chardonnay Berries. J Agric Food Chem. 2011 Jul 13;59(13):7224-36. Epub 2011 Jun 16. 2011.
- Boccalandro HE, Gonzalez CV, Wunderlin DA et al. Melatonin levels, determined by LC-ESI-MS/MS, fluctuate during the day/night cycle in Vitis vinifera cv Malbec: evidence of its antioxidant role in fruits. J Pineal Res. 2011 Apr 2. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-079X.2011.00884.x. [Epub ahead of print]. 2011.
- Chuang CC and McIntosh MK. Potential mechanisms by which polyphenol-rich grapes prevent obesity-mediated inflammation and metabolic diseases. Annu Rev Nutr. 2011 Aug 21;31:155-76. 2011.
- Crupi P, Coletta A and Antonacci D. Analysis of carotenoids in grapes to predict norisoprenoid varietal aroma of wines from Apulia. J Agric Food Chem. 2010 Sep 8;58(17):9647-56. 2010.
- Crupi P, Coletta A, Milella RA et al. Carotenoid and chlorophyll-derived compounds in some wine grapes grown in Apulian region. J Food Sci. 2010 May;75(4):S191-8. 2010.
- Dohadwala MM and Vita JA. Grapes and cardiovascular disease. J Nutr. 2009 Sep;139(9):1788S-93S. Epub 2009 Jul 22. Review. 2009.
- Hollis JH, Houchins JA, Blumberg JB et al. Effects of Concord Grape Juice on Appetite, Diet, Body Weight, Lipid Profile, and Antioxidant Status of Adults. J. Am. Coll. Nutr., Oct 2009; 28: 574 - 582. 2009.
- Joseph JA, Shukitt-Hale B, and Willis LM. Grape Juice, Berries, and Walnuts Affect Brain Aging and Behavior. The Journal of Nutrition. Bethesda: Sep 2009. Vol. 139, Iss. 9; pp. 1813S-1817S. 2009.
- Krikorian R, Nash TA, Shidler MD et al. Concord grape juice supplementation improves memory function in older adults with mild cognitive impairment. Br J Nutr. 2010 Mar;103(5):730-4. Epub 2009 Dec 23. 2010.
- Kuo PL, Hsu YL, Tsai MJ et al. Pterostilbene Suppresses Benzo[a]pyrene-Induced Airway Remodeling. J Agric Food Chem. 2011 Jul 27;59(14):8028-35. Epub 2011 Jun 21. 2011.
- Kwon GT, Jung JI, Song HR et al. Piceatannol inhibits migration and invasion of prostate cancer cells: possible mediation by decreased interleukin-6 signaling. J Nutr Biochem. 2011 Apr 14. [Epub ahead of print]. 2011.
- Lago-Vanzela ES, Da-Silva R, Gomes E et al. Phenolic Composition of the Brazilian Seedless Table Grape Varieties BRS Clara and BRS Morena. J Agric Food Chem. 2011 Jul 11. [Epub ahead of print]. 2011.
- Lekli I, Ray D and Das DK. Longevity nutrients resveratrol, wines and grapes. Genes Nutr. 2010 Mar;5(1):55-60. Epub 2009 Sep 4. 2010.
- Liu M, Liu RH, Song BB et al. Antiangiogenetic effects of 4 varieties of grapes in vitro. J Food Sci. 2010 Aug 1;75(6):T99-104. 2010.
- Lopez-Oliva ME, Agis-Torres A, Goni I et al. Grape antioxidant dietary fibre reduced apoptosis and induced a pro-reducing shift in the glutathione redox state of the rat proximal colonic mucosa. The British Journal of Nutrition. Cambridge: Apr 28, 2010. Vol. 103, Iss. 8; pp. 1110-1117. 2010.
- Nassiri-Asl M and Hosseinzadeh H. Review of the pharmacological effects of Vitis vinifera (Grape) and its bioactive compounds. Phytother Res. 2009 Sep;23(9):1197-204. 2009.
- Noratto GD, Angel-Morales G, Talcott ST et al. Polyphenolics from Acai ( Euterpe oleracea Mart.) and Red Muscadine Grape ( Vitis rotundifolia ) Protect Human Umbilical Vascular Endothelial Cells (HUVEC) from Glucose- and Lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-I. J Agric Food Chem. 2011 Jul 27;59(14):7999-8012. Epub 2011 Jun 30. 2011.
- Percival SS. Grape Consumption Supports Immunity in Animals and Humans. The Journal of Nutrition. Bethesda: Sep 2009. Vol. 139, Iss. 9; pp. 1801S-1805S. 2009.
- Pezzuto JM, Venkatasubramanian V, Hamad M et al. Unraveling the relationship between grapes and health. J Nutr. 2009 Sep;139(9):1783S-7S. Epub 2009 Jul 22. 2009.
- Radhakrishnan S, Reddivari L, Sclafani R et al. Resveratrol potentiates grape seed extract induced human colon cancer cell apoptosis. Front Biosci (Elite Ed). 2011 Jun 1;3:1509-23. 2011.
- Ramprasath VR and Jones PJH. Anti-atherogenic effects of resveratrol. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. London: Jul 2010. Vol. 64, Iss. 7; pp. 660-668. 2010.
- Rolle L, Giacosa S, Gerbi V et al. Comparative Study of Texture Properties, Color Characteristics, and Chemical Composition of Ten White Table-Grape Varieties. Am. J. Enol. Vitic., Mar 2011; 62: 49 - 56. 2011.
- Rolle L, Rio Segade S, Torchio F et al. Influence of Grape Density and Harvest Date on the Changes in Phenolic Composition, Phenol Extractability Indices and Instrumental Texture Properties During Ripening. J Agric Food Chem. 2011 Jul 13. [Epub ahead of print]. 2011.
- Sandhu AK and Gu L. Antioxidant capacity, phenolic content, and profiling of phenolic compounds in the seeds, skin, and pulp of Vitis rotundifolia (Muscadine Grapes) As determined by HPLC-DAD-ESI-MS(n). J Agric Food Chem. 2010 Apr 28;58(8):4681-92. 2010.
- Spanou C, Veskoukis AS, Stagos D et al. Effects of Grape Extracts on the In Vitro Activity of Enzymes Involved in Oxidative Stress Regulation. In Vivo, Jul 2011; 25: 657-662. 2011.
- Turgut C, Ornek H and Cutright TJ. Determination of pesticide residues in Turkey's table grapes: the effect of integrated pest management, organic farming, and conventional farming. Environ Monit Assess. 2011 Feb;173(1-4):315-23. Epub 2010 Mar 7. 2011.
- van Mierlo LAJ, Zock PL, van der Knaap HCM et al. Grape Polyphenols Do Not Affect Vascular Function in Healthy Men. The Journal of Nutrition. Bethesda: Oct 2010. Vol. 140, Iss. 10; pp. 1769-1773. 2010.
- Vitalini S, Gardana C, Zanzotto A et al. The presence of melatonin in grapevine (Vitis vinifera L.) berry tissues. J Pineal Res. 2011 Apr 18. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-079X.2011.00893.x. [Epub ahead of print]. 2011.
- Xia EQ, Deng GF, Guo YJ et al. Biological activities of polyphenols from grapes. Int J Mol Sci. 2010 Feb 4;11(2):622-46. 2010.
- Yadav M, Jain S, Bhardwaj A et al. Biological and medicinal properties of grapes and their bioactive constituents: an update. J Med Food. 2009 Jun;12(3):473-84. Review. 2009.
- Zamyatnin AA and Voronina OL. Antimicrobial and other oligopeptides of grapes. Biochemistry (Mosc). 2010 Feb;75(2):214-23. 2010.
- Zunino S. Type 2 diabetes and glycemic response to grapes or grape products. J Nutr. 2009 Sep;139(9):1794S-800S. Epub 2009 Jul 22. Review. 2009.