Each and every month at WHFoods, we rely on hundreds of research studies to keep you up-to-date on scientific information about food, nutrition, and health. (For more information about the role of science in our website content, please see Our Approach to Science Research
). Among the featured sections of our website are 100 food profiles and 31 nutrient profiles. In terms of scientific review, we make these profiles one of our website priorities. In each of these profiles, you will find a dedicated References section that contains an alphabetized list of key scientific references involving that particular food or nutrient. In order to make all of these key food and nutrient research references available to you in a single place, we created this WHFoods Reference Library. You can use the radio buttons below to start with either Foods or Nutrients. Then simply choose the specific food or nutrient of interest, and click on it to obtain an alphabetized list of key research references.
Foods & Spices
Nuts & Seeds
Beans & Legumes
Poultry & Meats
Eggs & Dairy
Herbs & Spices
- Abdelwahab SI, Hassan LEA, Sirat HM et al. Anti-inflammatory activities of cucurbitacin E isolated from Citrullus lanatus var. citroides: Role of reactive nitrogen species and cyclooxygenase enzyme inhibition. Fitoterapia, Volume 82, Issue 8, December 2011, Pages 1190-1197.
- Altas S, Kizil G, Kizil M et al. Protective effect of Diyarbakir watermelon juice on carbon tetrachloride-induced toxicity in rats. Food and Chemical Toxicology, Volume 49, Issue 9, September 2011, Pages 2433-2438.
- Charoensiri R, Kongkachuichai R, Suknicom S et al. Beta-carotene, lycopene, and alpha-tocopherol contents of selected Thai fruits. Food Chemistry, Volume 113, Issue 1, 1 March 2009, Pages 202-207.
- Collins JK, Wu G, Perkins-Veazie P et al. Watermelon consumption increases plasma arginine concentrations in adults. Nutrition, Volume 23, Issue 3, March 2007, Pages 261-266.
- Dimitrovski D, Bicanic D, Luterotti S et al. The concentration of trans-lycopene in postharvest watermelon: An evaluation of analytical data obtained by direct methods. Postharvest Biology and Technology, Volume 58, Issue 1, October 2010, Pages 21-28.
- Figueroa A, Wong A, and Kalfon R. Effects of watermelon supplementation on aortic hemodynamic responses to the cold pressor test in obese hypertensive adults. Am J Hypertens. 2014 Jul;27(7):899-906.
- Figueroa A, Wong A, Hooshmand S, et al. Effects of watermelon supplementation on arterial stiffness and wave reflection amplitude in postmenopausal women. Menopause. 2013 May;20(5):573-7.
- Hong MY, Hartig N, Kaufman K, et al. Watermelon consumption improves inflammation and antioxidant capacity in rats fed an atherogenic diet. Nutr Res. 2015 Mar;35(3):251-8.Iakshmi AJ and Kaul P. Nutritional potential, bioaccessibility of minerals and functionality of watermelon (Citrullus vulgaris) seeds. LWT - Food Science and Technology, Volume 44, Issue 8, October 2011, Pages 1821-1826.
- Lokshmi AJ, and Kaul P. Nutritional potential, bioaccessibility of minerals and functionality of watermelon (Citrullus vulgaris) seeds. LWT - Food Science and Technology, Volume 44, Issue 8, October 2011, pages 1821-1826.
- Lv P, Li N, Liu H, et al. Changes in carotenoid profiles and in the expression pattern of the genes in carotenoid metabolisms during fruit development and ripening in four watermelon cultivars. Food Chem. 2015 May 1;174:52-9.
- Martins MJ, Negrao MR and Azevedo I. Watermelon: the value of higher plasma arginine concentrations. Nutrition, Volume 23, Issue 6, June 2007, Page 517.
- Massa NM, Silva AS, de Oliveira CV, et al. Supplementation with Watermelon Extract Reduces Total Cholesterol and LDL Cholesterol in Adults with Dyslipidemia under the Influence of the MTHFR C677T Polymorphism. J Am Coll Nutr. 2016 Aug;35(6):514-520. Epub 2016 Mar 2.
- MengMeng L, XuQuiang L, ShengJie Z, et al. Analysis and evaluation of citrulline content in watermelons. Journal of Fruit Science, 2017, 34, 4, pp. 482-494.
- Nagal S, Kaur C, Choudhary H, et al. Lycopene content, antioxidant capacity and colour attributes of selected watermelon (Citrullus lanatus (Thunb.) Mansfeld) cultivars grown in India. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2012 Dec;63(8):996-1000.
- Naz A, Butt MS, Sultan MT, et al. Watermelon lycopene and allied health claims. EXCLI J. 2014 Jun 3;13:650-60. eCollection 2014. Review.
- Paris HS, Amar Z and Lev E. Medieval emergence of sweet melons, Cucumis melo (Cucurbitaceae). Ann Bot. 2012 Jul;110(1):23-33. Epub 2012 May 30.
- Patel S and Rauf A. Edible seeds from Cucurbitaceae family as potential functional foods: Immense promises, few concerns. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy, Volume 91, July 2017, pages 330-337.
- Perkins-Veazie P, Collins JK. Carotenoid changes of intact watermelons after storage. J Agric Food Chem. 2006 Aug 9;54(16):5868-74. 2006. PMID:16881688.
- Poduri A, Rateri D, Saha SK, et al. Citrullus lanatus ‘sentinel’ (watermelon) extract reduces atherosclerosis in LDL receptor-deficient mice. The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, Volume 24, Issue 5, May 2013, pages 882-886.
- Poduri A, Rateri DL, Saha SK et al. Citrullus lanatus 'sentinel' (watermelon)
- extract reduces atherosclerosis in LDL receptor-deficient mice. J Nutr Biochem. 2012 Aug 16. [Epub ahead of print].
- Sarria E. Global challenges for the future of watermelon breeding. Acta Horticulturae, 2017, No.1151, pp. 5-8.
- Seidu KT and Otutu OL. Phytochemical composition and radical scavenging activities of watermelon (Citrullus lanatus) seed constituents. Croatian Journal of Food Science and Technology, 2016, 8, 2, pp. 83-89.
- Shanely RA, Nieman DC, Perkins-Veazie P, et al. Comparison of Watermelon and Carbohydrate Beverage on Exercise-Induced Alterations in Systemic Inflammation, Immune Dysfunction, and Plasma Antioxidant Capacity. Nutrients. 2016 Aug 22;8(8). pii: E518. doi: 10.3390/nu8080518.
- Tak J and Jain S. Nutrient potential of watermelon (Citrullus lanatus) seeds and its incorporation in product preparation. Food Science Research Journal, 2016, 7, 2, pp. 202-206.
- Tamburini E, Costa S, Rugiero I, et al. Quantification of Lycopene, β-Carotene, and Total Soluble Solids in Intact Red-Flesh Watermelon (Citrullus lanatus) Using On-Line Near-Infrared Spectroscopy. Sensors (Basel). 2017 Apr 11;17(4).
- Tlili I, Hdider C, Lenucci MS et al. Bioactive compounds and antioxidant activities of different watermelon (Citrullus lanatus (Thunb.) Mansfeld) cultivars as affected by fruit sampling area. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, Volume 24, Issue 3, May 2011, Pages 307-314.
- Tlili I, Hdider C, Lenucci MS et al. Bioactive compounds and antioxidant activities during fruit ripening of watermelon cultivars. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, Volume 24, Issue 7, November 2011, Pages 923-928.