Each and every month at WHFoods, we rely on hundreds of research studies to keep you up-to-date on scientific information about food, nutrition, and health. (For more information about the role of science in our website content, please see Our Approach to Science Research
). Among the featured sections of our website are 100 food profiles and 31 nutrient profiles. In terms of scientific review, we make these profiles one of our website priorities. In each of these profiles, you will find a dedicated References section that contains an alphabetized list of key scientific references involving that particular food or nutrient. In order to make all of these key food and nutrient research references available to you in a single place, we created this WHFoods Reference Library. You can use the radio buttons below to start with either Foods or Nutrients. Then simply choose the specific food or nutrient of interest, and click on it to obtain an alphabetized list of key research references.
Foods & Spices
Nuts & Seeds
Beans & Legumes
Poultry & Meats
Eggs & Dairy
Herbs & Spices
- Alegria C, Goncalves EM, Moldao-Martins M, et al. Peel removal improves quality without antioxidant loss, through wound-induced phenolic biosynthesis in shredded carrot. Postharvest Biology and Technology, Volume 120, October 2016, pages 232-239.
- Arscott SA, Simon PW, and Tanumihardjo SA. Anthocyanins in purple-orange carrots (Daucus carota L.) do not influence the bioavailability of beta-carotene in young women. J Agric Food Chem. 2010 Mar 10;58(5):2877-81.
- Aydin O Bayindirli L, and Artik N. Effect of peeling methods on quality of carrots. GIDA - Journal of Food, 2010, 35, 3, pages 169-175.
- Daiuto ER, Vieites RL, Pigoli DR, et al. Minerals stability in vegetables submitted to different cooking methods. Nativa: Pesquisas Agrárias e Ambientais, 2015, 3, 2, pages 102-108. (Spanish)
- de Jesus Ornelas-Paz J , Yahia EM and Gardea-Bejar AA. Bioconversion Efficiency of B-Carotene from Mango Fruit and Carrots. Vitamin A Journal: American Journal of Agricultural and Biological Science Year: 2010 Vol: 5 Issue: 3 Pages/record No.: 301-308. 2010.
- Fujii H, Noda T, Sairenchi T, et al. Daily intake of green and yellow vegetables is effective for maintaining bone mass in young women. J Exp Med. 2009 Jun;218(2):149-54.
- Gautam S, Platel K, and Sarinivasan K. Assessment of zinc deficiency and effect of dietary carrot, amchur and onion on zinc status during repletion in zinc-deficient rats. J Sci Food Agric. 2012 Jan 15;92(1):165-70.
- Geetha P. Effect of pre-treatments and packaging on shelf life of minimally processed carrots. Madras Agricultural Journal, 2015, 102, 7/9, pp 268-272.Imsic M, Winkler S, Tomkins B et al. Effect of storage and cooking on beta-carotene isomers in carrots ( Daucus carota L. cv. 'Stefano'). J Agric Food Chem. 2010 Apr 28;58(8):5109-13. 2010.
- Kjellenberg L, Johansson E, Gustavsson KE et al. Effects of harvesting date and storage on the amounts of polyacetylenes in carrots, Daucus carota. J Agric Food Chem. 2010 Nov 24;58(22):11703-8. Epub 2010 Oct 21. 2010.
- Kobaek-Larsen M, El-Houri RB, Christensen LP, et al. Dietary polyacetylenes, falcarinol and falcarindiol, isolated from carrots prevents the formation of neoplastic lesions in the colon of azoxymethane-induced rats. Food Funct. 2017 Mar 22;8(3):964-974. doi: 10.1039/c7fo00110j.
- Lemmens L, Colle IJ, Van Buggenhout S et al. Quantifying the influence of thermal process parameters on in vitro B-carotene bioaccessibility: a case study on carrots. J Agric Food Chem. 2011 Apr 13;59(7):3162-7. Epub 2011 Mar 15. 2011.
- Mahesh M, Bharathi M, Raja Gopal Reddy M, et al. Carrot juice ingestion attenuates high fructose-induced circulatory pro-inflammatory mediators in weanling Wistar rats. J Sci Food Agric. 2017 Mar;97(5):1582-1591.
- Mahesh M, Bharathi M, Reddy MR, et al. Carrot Juice Administration Decreases Liver Stearoyl-CoA Desaturase 1 and Improves Docosahexaenoic Acid Levels, but Not Steatosis in High Fructose Diet-Fed Weanling Wistar Rats. Prev Nutr Food Sci. 2016 Sep;21(3):171-180.
- Matejkova J and Petrikova K. Variation in Content of Carotenoids and Vitamin C in Carrots . Notulae Scientia Biologicae Year: 2010 Vol: 2 Issue: 4 Pages/record No.: 88-91. 2010.