Each and every month at WHFoods, we rely on hundreds of research studies to keep you up-to-date on scientific information about food, nutrition, and health. (For more information about the role of science in our website content, please see Our Approach to Science Research
). Among the featured sections of our website are 100 food profiles and 31 nutrient profiles. In terms of scientific review, we make these profiles one of our website priorities. In each of these profiles, you will find a dedicated References section that contains an alphabetized list of key scientific references involving that particular food or nutrient. In order to make all of these key food and nutrient research references available to you in a single place, we created this WHFoods Reference Library. You can use the radio buttons below to start with either Foods or Nutrients. Then simply choose the specific food or nutrient of interest, and click on it to obtain an alphabetized list of key research references.
Foods & Spices
Nuts & Seeds
Beans & Legumes
Poultry & Meats
Eggs & Dairy
Herbs & Spices
Olive oil, extra virgin references
- • Bermudez B, Lopez S, Ortega A et al. Oleic Acid in olive oil: from a metabolic framework toward a clinical perspective. Curr Pharm Des. 2011;17(8):831-43. 2011.
- • Berr C, Portet F, Carriere I et al. Olive Oil and Cognition: Results from the Three-City Study. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2009 October; 28(4): 357-364. Published online 2009 October 30. doi: 10.1159/000253483. 2009.
- • Bondia-Pons I, Schroder H, Covas MI et al. Moderate consumption of olive oil by healthy European men reduces systolic blood pressure in non-Mediterranean participants. J Nutr. 2007 Jan;137(1):84-87. 2007. PMID:17182805. 2007.
- • Brinkman MT, Buntinx F, Kellen E et al. Consumption of animal products, olive oil and dietary fat and results from the Belgian case-control study on bladder cancer risk. Eur J Cancer. 2011 Feb;47(3):436-42. Epub 2010 Oct 12. 2010.
- • Bullo M, Lamuela-Raventos R and Salas-Salvado J. Mediterranean Diet and Oxidation: Nuts and Olive Oil as Important Sources of Fat and Antioxidants. Curr Top Med Chem. 2011 Apr 21. [Epub ahead of print]. 2011.
- • Caponio F, Bilancia MT, Pasqualone A, Sikorska E, Gomes T. Influence of the exposure to light on extra virgin olive oil quality during storage. European Food Research and Technology, 2005 July; 221(1-2):92-98. 2005.
- • Casal S, Malheiro R, Sendas A et al. Olive oil stability under deep-frying conditions. Food Chem Toxicol. 2010 Oct;48(10):2972-9. Epub 2010 Aug 3. 2010.
- • Castaner O, Fito M, Lopez-Sabater MC et al. The effect of olive oil polyphenols on antibodies against oxidized LDL. A randomized clinical trial. Clin Nutr. 2011 Mar 2. [Epub ahead of print]. 2011.
- • Cicerale S, Lucas L and Keast R. Biological Activities of Phenolic Compounds Present in Virgin Olive Oil. Int J Mol Sci. 2010; 11(2): 458-479. Published online 2010 February 2. doi: 10.3390/ijms11020458. 2010.
- • Corona G, Spencer JPE and Dessi MA. Extra virgin olive oil phenolics: absorption, metabolism, and biological activities in the GI tract. Toxicology and Industrial Health, May 2009; 25: 285 - 293. 2009.
- • Covas MI, de la Torre K, Farre-Albaladejo M et al. Postprandial LDL phenolic content and LDL oxidation are modulated by olive oil phenolic compounds in humans. Free Radic Biol Med. 2006 Feb 15;40(4):608-16. Epub 2005 Oct 18. 2006. PMID:16458191. 2006.
- • Covas MI, Nyyssonen K, Poulsen HE, Kaikkonen J, Zunft HJ, Kiesewetter H, Gaddi A, de la Torre R, Mursu J, Baumler H, Nascetti S, Salonen JT, Fito M, Virtanen J, Marrugat J. EUROLIVE Study Group. The effect of polyphenols in olive oil on heart disease risk factors: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med. 2006 Sep 5;145(5):333-41. 2006. PMID:16954359.
- • D'Imperio M, Gobbino M, Picanza A et al. Influence of Harvest Method and Period on Olive Oil Composition: an NMR and Statistical Study. J Agric Food Chem. 2010 Oct 5. [Epub ahead of print]. 2010.
- • Daccache A, Lion C, Sibille N et al. Oleuropein and derivatives from olives as Tau aggregation inhibitors. Neurochem Int. 2011 May;58(6):700-7. Epub 2011 Feb 17. 2011.
- • Damasceno NR, Perez-Heras A, Serra M et al. Crossover study of diets enriched with virgin olive oil, walnuts or almonds. Effects on lipids and other cardiovascular risk markers. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2011 Mar 21. [Epub ahead of print]. 2011.
- • de la Lastra Romero CA and Gonz´lez G. An up-date of olive oil and bioactive constituents in health: molecular mechanisms and clinical implications. Curr Pharm Des. 2011;17(8):752-3. 2011.
- • de Roos B, Zhang X, Rodriguez Gutierrez G et al. Anti-platelet effects of olive oil extract: in vitro functional and proteomic studies. Eur J Nutr. 2011 Jan 1. [Epub ahead of print]. 2011.
- • Delgado-Lista J, Garcia-Rios A, Perez-Martinez P et al. Olive oil and haemostasis: platelet function, thrombogenesis and fibrinolysis. Curr Pharm Des. 2011;17(8):778-85. 2011.
- • Ebaid GM, Seiva FR, Rocha KK et al. Effects of olive oil and its minor phenolic constituents on obesity-induced cardiac metabolic changes. Nutr J. 2010 Oct 19;9:46. 2010.
- • Eilertsen KE, Maehre HK, Cludts K et al. Dietary enrichment of apolipoprotein E-deficient mice with extra virgin olive oil in combination with seal oil inhibits atherogenesis. Lipids Health Dis. 2011 Mar 3;10:41. 2011.
- • Elnagar AY, Sylvester PW, and El Sayed KA. (-)-Oleocanthal as a c-Met Inhibitor for the Control of Metastatic Breast and Prostate Cancers. Planta Med. 2011 Feb 15. [Epub ahead of print]. 2011.
- • Escrich E, Solanas M, Moral R et al. Modulatory effects and molecular mechanisms of olive oil and other dietary lipids in breast cancer. Curr Pharm Des. 2011;17(8):813-30. 2011.
- • Frankel EN. Nutritional and biological properties of extra virgin olive oil. J Agric Food Chem. 2011 Feb 9;59(3):785-92. Epub 2011 Jan 6. 2011.
- • Garcia-Segovia P, Sanchez-Villegas A, Doreste J et al. Olive oil consumption and risk of breast cancer in the Canary Islands: a population-based case-control study. Public Health Nutr 2006 Feb;9(1A):163-7. 2006. PMID:16512965. 2006.
- • Hashim YZ, Eng M, Gill C et al. Components of olive oil and chemoprevention of colorectal cancer. Nutr Rev. 2005 Nov;63(11):374-86. 2005. PMID:16370222. 2005.
- • Impellizzeri D, Esposito E, Mazzon E et al. The effects of oleuropein aglycone, an olive oil compound, in a mouse model of carrageenan-induced pleurisy. Clin Nutr. 2011 Mar 14. [Epub ahead of print]. 2011.
- • Kontogianni MD, Panagiotakos DB, Chrysohoou C, Pitsavos C, Zampelas A, Stefanadis C. The impact of olive oil consumption pattern on the risk of acute coronary syndromes: The CARDIO2000 case-control study. Clin Cardiol. 2007 Mar;30(3):125-9. 2007. PMID:17385704.
- • Lucas L, Russell A and Keast R. Molecular mechanisms of inflammation. Anti-inflammatory benefits of virgin olive oil and the phenolic compound oleocanthal. Curr Pharm Des. 2011;17(8):754-68. 2011.
- • Machowetz A, Poulsen HE, Gruendel S et al. Effect of olive oils on biomarkers of oxidative DNA stress in Northern and Southern Europeans. FASEB J. 2007 Jan;21(1):45-52. Epub 2006 Nov 16. 2007. PMID:17110467. 2007.
- • Marí-Sanchis A, Beunza JJ, Bes-Rastrollo M et al. [Olive oil consumption and incidence of diabetes mellitus, in the Spanish sun cohort.] . Nutr Hosp. 2011 Feb;26(1):137-143. Spanish. 2011.
- • Martinez Nieto L, Hodaifa G and Lozano Peña JL. Changes in phenolic compounds and Rancimat stability of olive oils from varieties of olives at different stages of ripeness. J Sci Food Agric. 2010 Nov;90(14):2393-8. 2010.
- • Mascitelli L and Goldstein MR. Olive oil, iron, and cardiovascular disease prevention. 2011 Apr;68(4):391; author reply 391-2. Epub 2011 Feb 16. No abstract available. 2011.
- • Mascitelli L, Pezzetta F and Goldstein MR. Is the beneficial antioxidant effect of olive oil mediated by interaction of its phenolic constituents and iron? . Arch Med Res. 2010 May;41(4):295-6. 2010.
- • Menendez JA, Vazquez-Martin A, Colomer R et al. Olive oil's bitter principle reverses acquired autoresistance to trastuzumab (Herceptin) in HER2-overexpressing breast cancer cells. BMC Cancer. 2007; 7: 80. Published online 2007 May 9. doi: 10.1186/1471-2407-7-80. 2007.
- • Mohagheghi F, Bigdeli MR, Rasoulian B et al. Dietary virgin olive oil reduces blood brain barrier permeability, brain edema, and brain injury in rats subjected to ischemia-reperfusion. ScientificWorldJournal. 2010 Jun 29;10:1180-91. 2010.
- • Morello JR, Motilva MJ, Tovar MJ, Romero MP. Changes in commercial virgin olive oil (cv Arbequina) during storage, with special emphasis on the phenolic fraction. J Agric Food Chem, 2004 May; 85(3):357-364. 2004.
- • Moreno DA, López-Berenguer C, García-Viguera C. Effects of stir-fry cooking with different edible oils on the phytochemical composition of broccoli. J Food Sci. 2007 Jan;72(1):S064-8. 2007. PMID:17995900.
- • Mosher A. Justification for additional data analysis: fruit, vegetables, and olive oil and risk of coronary heart disease in Italian women: the EPICOR Study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2011 Apr 13. [Epub ahead of print] . 2011.
- • Notarnicola M, Tutino V, Bocale D et al. Effects of olive oil polyphenols on fatty acid synthase gene expression and activity in human colorectal cancer cells. Genes Nutr. 2011 February; 6(1): 63-69. Published online 2010 May 16. doi: 10.1007/s12263-010-0177-7. 2011.
- • Oliveras-Ferraros C, Fernandez-Arroyo S, Vazquez-Martin A et al. Crude phenolic extracts from extra virgin olive oil circumvent de novo breast cancer resistance to HER1/HER2-targeting drugs by inducing GADD45-sensed cellular stress, G2/M arrest and hyperacetylation. Int J Oncol. 2011 Jun;38(6):1533-47. doi: 10.3892/ijo.2011.993. Epub 2011 Mar 30. 2011.
- • Papageorgiou N, Tousoulis D, Psaltopoulou T et al. Divergent anti-inflammatory effects of different oil acute consumption on healthy individuals. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2011 Apr;65(4):514-9. Epub 2011 Feb 16. 2011.
- • Pelucchi C, Bosetti C, Negri E et al. Olive Oil and Cancer Risk: An Update of Epidemiological Findings through 2010. Curr Pharm Des. 2011;17(8):805-12. 2011.
- • Peyrot des Gachons C, Uchida K, Bryant B et al. Unusual pungency from extra-virgin olive oil is attributable to restricted spatial expression of the receptor of oleocanthal. J Neurosci. 2011 Jan 19;31(3):999-1009. 2011.
- • Pinto J, Paiva-Martins F, Corona G et al. Absorption and metabolism of olive oil secoiridoids in the small intestine. Br J Nutr. 2011 Mar 17:1-12. [Epub ahead of print]. 2011.
- • Romero C, Medina E, Vargas J, Brenes M, Castro AD. In Vitro Activity of Olive Oil Polyphenols against Helicobacter pylori. J Agric Food Chem. 2007 Feb 7;55(3):680-6. 2007. PMID:17263460.
- • Ruano J, Lopez-Miranda J, Ruano J et al. Intake of phenol-rich virgin olive oil improves the postprandial prothrombotic profile in hypercholesterolemic patients. Am J Clin Nutr, Aug 2007; 86: 341 - 346. 2007.
- • Ruiz-Canela M and Martinez-Gonzalez MA. Olive oil in the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease. Maturitas. 2011 Mar;68(3):245-50. Epub 2011 Jan 8. 2011.
- • Saleh NK and Saleh HA. Olive Oil effectively mitigates ovariectomy-induced osteoporosis in rats. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2011 Feb 4;11:10. 2011.
- • Salvini S, Sera F, Caruso D, Giovannelli L, Visioli F, Saieva C, Masala G, Ceroti M, Giovacchini V, Pitozzi V, Galli C, Romani A, Mulinacci N, Bortolomeazzi R, Dolara P, Palli D. Daily consumption of a high-phenol extra-virgin olive oil reduces oxidative DNA damage in postmenopausal women. Br J Nutr. 2006 Apr;95(4):742-51. 2006. PMID:16571154.
- • Sanchez-Hernandez L, Castro-Puyana M, Luisa Marina M et al. Determination of betaines in vegetable oils by capillary electrophoresis tandem mass spectrometry - application to the detection of olive oil adulteration with seed oils. Electrophoresis. 2011 Jun;32(11):1394-401. doi: 10.1002/elps.201100005. Epub 2011 Apr 26. 2011.
- • St-Onge MP and Bosarge A. Weight-loss diet that includes consumption of medium-chain triacylglycerol oil leads to a greater rate of weight and fat mass loss than does olive oil. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Volume 87, Number 3 (March 2008), pp. 621-626. 2008.
- • Terés S, Barcelo-Coblijn G, Benet M et al. Oleic acid content is responsible for the reduction in blood pressure induced by olive oil. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008 September 16; 105(37): 13811-13816. Published online 2008 September 4. doi: 10.1073/pnas.0807500105. 2008.
- • Vichi S, Romero A, Tous J et al. The Activity of Healthy Olive Microbiota during Virgin Olive Oil Extraction Influences Oil Chemical Composition. J Agric Food Chem. 2011 May 11;59(9):4705-4714. Epub 2011 Apr 20. 2011.
- • Visioli F and Bernardini E. Extra Virgin Olive Oil's Polyphenols: Biological Activities. Curr Pharm Des. 2011;17(8):786-804. 2011.
- • Zrelli H, Matsuoka M, Kitazaki S et al. Hydroxytyrosol Induces Proliferation and Cytoprotection against Oxidative Injury in Vascular Endothelial Cells: Role of Nrf2 Activation and HO-1 Induction. J Agric Food Chem. 2011 May 11;59(9):4473-82. Epub 2011 Apr 13. 2011.