Each and every month at WHFoods, we rely on hundreds of research studies to keep you up-to-date on scientific information about food, nutrition, and health. (For more information about the role of science in our website content, please see Our Approach to Science Research
). Among the featured sections of our website are 100 food profiles and 31 nutrient profiles. In terms of scientific review, we make these profiles one of our website priorities. In each of these profiles, you will find a dedicated References section that contains an alphabetized list of key scientific references involving that particular food or nutrient. In order to make all of these key food and nutrient research references available to you in a single place, we created this WHFoods Reference Library. You can use the radio buttons below to start with either Foods or Nutrients. Then simply choose the specific food or nutrient of interest, and click on it to obtain an alphabetized list of key research references.
Foods & Spices
Nuts & Seeds
Beans & Legumes
Poultry & Meats
Eggs & Dairy
Herbs & Spices
Soy sauce references
- Andarwulan N, Nuraida L, Madanijah S et al. Free Glutamate Content of Condiment and Seasonings and Their Intake in Bogor and Jakarta, Indonesia. Food and Nutrition Sciences 2. 7 (Sep 2011): 764-769. 2011.
- Aoshima H and Ooshima S. Anti-hydrogen peroxide activity of fish and soy sauce. Food Chemistry, Volume 112, Issue 2, 15 January 2009, Pages 339-343. 2009.
- Chai C, Ju HK, Kim SC et al. Determination of bioactive compounds in fermented soybean products using GC/MS and further investigation of correlation of their bioactivities. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2012 Jan 1;880(1):42-9. Epub 2011 Nov 17. 2012.
- Chaudhari N, Pereira E, and Roper SD. Taste receptors for umami: the case for multiple receptors. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 September; 90(3): 738S—742S. Published online 2009 July 1. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.2009.27462H . 2009.
- Choi UK, Jeong YS, Kwon OJ et al. Comparative Study of Quality Characteristics of Korean Soy Sauce Made with Soybeans Germinated Under Dark and Light Conditions. Int J Mol Sci. 2011; 12(11): 8105—8118. Published online 2011 November 17. doi: 10.3390/ijms12118105. 2011.
- Elbashiti T, Fayyad A, and Elkichaoui A. Isolation and Identification of Aspergillus oryzae and the Production of Soy Sauce with New Aroma. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition 2010, Issn: 16805194, Volume: 9, Issue: 12, pages/rec.No: 1171-1175. 2010.
- Guidi LR and Gloria MBA. Bioactive amines in soy sauce: Validation of method, occurrence and potential health effects. Food Chemistry, In Press, Corrected Proof, Available online 24 January 2012. 2012.
- Kobayashi M, Magishi N, Matsushita H et al. Hypolipidemic effect of Shoyu polysaccharides from soy sauce in animals and humans. Int J Mol Med. 2008 Oct;22(4):565-70. 2008.
- Kobayashi M. Immunological functions of soy sauce: hypoallergenicity and antiallergic activity of soy sauce. Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering, Volume 100, Issue 2, August 2005, Pages 144-151. 2005.
- Kremer S, Mojet J, and Shimojo R. Salt reduction in foods using naturally brewed soy sauce. J Food Sci. 2009 Aug;74(6):S255-62. 2009.
- Kwon DY, Daily JW, Kim HJ et al. Antidiabetic effects of fermented soybean. Nutrition Research, Volume 30, Issue 1, January 2010, Pages 1-13. 2010.
- Lee CYJ, Isaac HB, Wang H et al. Cautions in the use of biomarkers of oxidative damage; the vascular and antioxidant effects of dark soy sauce in humans. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, Volume 344, Issue 3, 9 June 2006, Pages 906-911. 2006.
- Lioe HN, Selamat J, Yasuda M. Soy sauce and its umami taste: a link from the past to current situation. J Food Sci. 2010 Apr;75(3):R71-6. Review. 2010.
- Mashilipa C, Wang Q, Slevin M et al. Antiglycation and antioxidant properties of soy sauces. J Med Food. 2011 Dec;14(12):1647-53. Epub 2011 Aug 23. 2011.
- Masuda S, Yamaguchi H, Kurokawa T et al. Immunomodulatory effect of halophilic lactic acid bacterium Tetragenococcus halophilus Th221 from soy sauce moromi grown in high-salt medium. International Journal of Food Microbiology, Volume 121, Issue 3, 10 February 2008, Pages 245-252. 2008.
- Matsushita H, Kobayashi M, Tsukiyama R et al. Stimulatory effect of Shoyu polysaccharides from soy sauce on the intestinal immune system. Int J Mol Med. 2008 Aug;22(2):243-7. 2008.
- McGough MM, Sato T, Rankin SA et al. Reducing sodium levels in frankfurters using naturally brewed soy sauce. Meat Sci. 2012 May;91(1):69-78. Epub 2011 Dec 22. 2012.
- Murooka Y and Yamshita M. Traditional healthful fermented products of Japan. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol. 2008 Aug;35(8):791-8. Epub 2008 May 7. 2008.
- Nakahara T, Sano A, Yamaguchi H et al. Antihypertensive effect of peptide-enriched soy sauce-like seasoning and identification of its angiotensin I-converting enzyme inhibitory substances. J Agric Food Chem. 2010 Jan 27;58(2):821-7. 2010.
- Yang B, Prasad N, Xie H et al. Structural characteristics of oligosaccharides from soy sauce lees and their potential prebiotic effect on lactic acid bacteria. Food Chemistry, Volume 126, Issue 2, 15 May 2011, Pages 590-594. 2011.
- Yang B, Yang H, Li J et al. Amino acid composition, molecular weight distribution and antioxidant activity of protein hydrolysates of soy sauce lees. Food Chemistry, Volume 124, Issue 2, 15 January 2011, Pages 551-555. 2011.
- Zhu XL, Watanabe K, Shiraishi K et al. Identification of ACE-inhibitory peptides in salt-free soy sauce that are transportable across caco-2 cell monolayers. Peptides. 2008 Mar;29(3):338-44. Epub 2007 Nov 19. 2008.
- Zhu Y, Yang Y, Zhou Z et al. Direct determination of free tryptophan contents in soy sauces and its application as an index of soy sauce adulteration. Food Chemistry, Volume 118, Issue 1, 1 January 2010, Pages 159-162. 2010.