Hearty lentils combine with fresh herbs and tangy balsamic vinegar in this quick and easy salad. Thursday is the meatless day in the WHFoods 7-Day Meal Plan and lentils are a great source of protein for this meatless dish. It supplies 38% Daily Value (DV) for protein to help support proper body composition and regulation of blood sugar, 84% DV for fiber to help improve cardiovascular function including cholesterol metabolism, 38% DV for folate to help sustain brain and nervous system activity, 89% DV for vitamin C to help protect against excess free radical production, 37% DV for vitamin A to support immune and inflammatory systems, 25% DV for vitamin E to help protect against free radical damage and heart disease, 350% DV for vitamin K to promote healthy blood clotting, and 40% DV for iron!
You can prepare this salad ahead of time; it keeps well.
Prep and Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup baby spinach, romaine lettuce or arugula, thinly sliced
- 1 cup canned lentils, drained
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- 1 TBS crumbled feta
- 1-1/2 TBS Mediterranean Dressing
- 1-1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary or oregano, chopped
- Combine all ingredients except romaine in a large bowl. Gently toss in spinach or lettuce.
- This salad can marinate for up to 2 hours before serving or can be eaten right after it's made.
This salad keeps well for a to-go lunch.
Note: save 1/4 of this recipe for snack on Day 7