WHFoods Menu: Power Oatmeal with BerriesThe addition of pumpkin seeds and berries makes our version of the more traditional oatmeal breakfast a more nutritious and satisfying way to start the day and carry you through until lunch. Study after study has proven the beneficial effects of the special fiber found in oats, oat bran, and oatmeal, (beta glucan) on cholesterol levels. Individuals who consumed just 3 grams of soluble oat fiber per day (an amount found in one bowl of oatmeal) typically lowered their total cholesterol by 8-23%! The wealth of health-protective nutrients in this breakfast include 246% Daily Value (DV) for manganese, 147% DV for molybdenum, 65% DV for magnesium, 60% DV for vitamin B1, 52% DV for vitamin B2, 51% DV for protein, 50% DV for niacin, 50% DV for zinc, 46% DV for fiber, and much more!
Prep and Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup water
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup Old Fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 TBS pumpkin seeds, chopped or ground
- 1/2 cup blueberries, strawberries or raspberries (or a combination)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- Bring the water and salt to a boil in a saucepan, then turn the heat to low and add the oats.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly so that the oatmeal will not clump together. Add cinnamon and pumpkin seeds, stir, cover the pan and turn off heat. Let sit for 5 minutes. Serve with berries, almond milk, and yogurt.
Healthy Cooking Tips:
If you are using prepackaged Oats, it is best to follow the directions on the package.