7-Minute "Quick Steamed" Butternut SquashWhole Butternut Squash (or Kabocha or Hubbard) takes about one hour to cook, but I discovered that by cutting it into 1-inch cubes and using the “Quick Steaming”
method, it will cook in just 7 minutes and has the best flavor.
Prep and Cook Time: 7 minutes
- 2 cups Butternut Squash, cubed
- 3 TBS extra virgin olive oil (or to taste)
- 1 tsp lemon
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Fill the bottom of the steamer with 2 inches of water.
- While steam is building up cut squash into 1" cubes.
- Steam, covered with a tight fitting lid, for 7 minutes.Butternut Squash is done when it is tender (a fork caneasily pierce it), yet still firm enough to hold its shape.
- Transfer to a bowl. For more flavor, toss Butternut Squash with the oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper while it is still hot. Research shows that fat-soluble vitamins and carotenoids found in foods, such as Winter Squash, may be better absorbed when consumed with fat-containing foods like extra virgin olive oil.