Poached Eggs over SpinachStart the day with an extra boost of greens in this easy-to-prepare meal that you can also serve for lunch or dinner.
Prep and Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 2 omega-3 enriched eggs
- 1 tsp light vinegar
- 1 lb fresh spinach (or kale or collard greens)
- Mediterranean Dressing
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 medium clove garlic
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Use a large pot (3 quart) with lots of water. Bring water to rapid boil.
- While water is coming to a boil, press or chop garlic and let it sit for at least 5 minutes to enhance its health-promoting properties.
- Wash spinach.
- When water is at full boil, place spinach into the pot. Do not cover. Cooking uncovered helps the acids to escape into the air. Cook spinach for 1 minute; begin timing a soon as you drop the spinach into the boiling water. See 5-Minute Kale or 5-Minute Collard Greens recipes if you use these greens in place of spinach.
- After the spinach has cooked for 1 minute (do not wait for water to return to a boil), use a mesh strainer with a handle to remove spinach from the pot. Press out excess liquid.
- Toss spinach with dressing ingredients while it is still hot. Mediterranean dressing does not have to be made separately.
- Bring 1 quart water to a high simmer in a 10-inch skillet with 1 tsp of vinegar.
- When water comes to a high simmer poach eggs for about 5 minutes, or until whites are firm. Remove from water with a slotted spoon and place over spinach mixture.
Nutritional Profile available soon.