Mediterranean Lima BeansCanned beans are a great way to enjoy the health benefits of beans and include them as part of your Healthiest Way of Eating in a minimal amount of time. One serving of this recipe provides 213% of the daily value (DV) for health-promoting molybdenum, 41% DV for fiber, and 41% DV for manganese. Enjoy!
Prep and Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 2 cups cooked or 15-oz can lima beans, preferably organic
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 3 TBS chopped green onions
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Press or mince garlic and let sit for 5 minutes to enhance its hidden health properties.
- Drain liquid from lima beans and rinse under cold running water.
- Combine lima beans, garlic, olive oil, tomato, green onions, and salt and pepper to taste.
Healthy Cooking Tips:
If using canned beans it is important to rinse them well as this helps to reduce some of the compounds that can cause intestinal gas. If you have the time, by all means it's great to make beans from scratch.