Barley Mushroom SoupThe crimini mushrooms and tawny port gives this Barley Mushroom Soup extra flavor. This soup is a great way to enjoy the health benefits of barley.
Prep and Cook Time: Prep time: 20 min; Cook time: 55 min
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 3 medium cloves garlic, pressed or finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced in 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 1/2 cups crimini mushrooms, cut in half and sliced
- 1/2 cup Tawny port
- 1 TBS + 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 TBS chopped fresh parsley
- 1 TBS chopped fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
- 1/2 TBS chopped fresh sage (or 1/2 tsp dried sage)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Rinse and soak barley in 1 cup of warm water while preparing rest of ingredients.
- Heat 1 TBS broth in a medium soup pot. Healthy Sauté onion, garlic, and carrots in broth for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Add mushrooms and continue to sauté for another 3 minutes. Add drained barley and Tawny Port and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add rest of broth and bring soup to a boil on high heat. Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 40 minutes, or until barley and carrots are tender.
- Add herbs, salt, and pepper at the end of cooking and serve.