Polenta, Onion and Gorgonzola PizzaEven though this recipe takes about 40 minutes to prepare, it is very easy to make. Using polenta is a wonderful way to have a healthy pizza crust and the toppings are only limited by your imagination.
Prep and Cook Time: Prep and cooking time: 40 minutes
- 3/4 cup polenta
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 TBS chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 medium onions, cut in half and sliced thin
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 TBS chopped fresh thyme
- 4 oz gorgonzola cheese
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Bring lightly salted water to a boil in a medium pot.
- Slice onions and let them sit for at 10 minutes to bring out their hidden health benefits.
- When water comes to a boil, add polenta slowly while stirring, and reduce heat to low. Continue stirring polenta and cook for about 10 minutes until it thickens. Wooden spoon should almost stand up in polenta. Spread evenly in shallow 8 "x 8" cake pan, or 9" tart pan. Let sit to firm up.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Heat 1 TBS broth in a medium-size stainless steel skillet. Healthy Sauté onions in broth over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add garlic to onions and continue to sauté for another minute, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper. Add chopped thyme and mix.
- Spread onions evenly over polenta and top with crumpled cheese. Place in oven until cheese melts, about 10 minutes.