Steamed Butternut Squash with Red Chili SauceThe beautiful orange color of the squash reflects its rich concentration of health-promoting beta carotene. Combine the nutritional value of the squash with the great taste of the red chili sauce for a great addition to your Healthiest Way of Eating.
Prep and Cook Time: 23 minutes
- 1 medium-sized butternut squash, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1 medium onion, cut in half and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 TBS + 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 TBS chopped cilantro
- Slice onion and chop garlic and let sit for at least 5 minutes to enhance their health benefits.
- Bring 2 inches of water in a steamer to a boil.
- Cut squash into cubes and steam in a steamer with a tight fitting lid until al denté, about 5-6 minutes.
- Heat 1 TBS broth in a medium-size skillet. Healthy Sauté onion in broth for 3 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently. Add garlic and spices and mix well. After about 1 minute, add rest of broth and begin to simmer gently.
- When squash is al denté, add it to simmering sauce and cook together for another 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with cilantro.