Cranberry and Fresh Pear CobblerThis is a wonderful after-dinner treat that provides a great combination of flavors and health benefits to your Healthiest Way of Eating! Cranberries, like their cousin blueberries, are one of the best sources of health-promoting antioxidants. (Taken from age 519 of the 2nd edition of the World's Healthiest Foods book.)
Prep and Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 medium orange*
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 ripe pear (Bosc or other firm variety)
- 1/2 cup + 2 TBS walnuts
- *Because the recipe calls for orange zest we recommend using an organic orange
- Grate enough orange rind to make 1 tsp zest and place in a mixing bowl.
- Cut the orange in half and juice both halves into the same bowl as the rind.
- Add the cranberries and honey. Mix until the honey is dissolved. Let sit for 1/2 hour to allow cranberries to soften.
- After the cranberries have softened, cut the pear into 1/4-inch cubes and add to the bowl. Add 1/2 cup walnuts.
- Divide the mixture into 2 dessert dishes and sprinkle each with 1 TBS of the chopped walnuts.
Healthy Cooking Tips:
Enjoy this dish right away, before the
pear starts to brown.