Cilantro Pesto with Pumpkin SeedsEnhance the flavor of chicken or fish with this great tasting pesto that can be prepared in a matter of minutes. Add it to fish tacos with a few avocado slices for a taste treat. (Taken from page 687 of the 2nd edition of the World's Healthiest Foods book.)
Prep and Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 2 cups chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 scallion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 or 3 canned jalapenos, depending on desired heat
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pumpkin seeds
- 2 TBS water
- 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- salt and white pepper to taste
- Press or finely chop garlic and let sit for 5 minutes while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Add olive oil a little at a time at end. You want the pesto to be blended yet not smooth. It is best with a little texture. Serve at room temperature. Do not heat it.