Primavera VerdeThis festive, colorful dish is an excellent way to add more health-promoting vegetables to your meal. Your choice of veggies is only limited by your imagination and it's a great way to use whatever is in your refrigerator. Enjoy!
Prep and Cook Time: 50 minutes
- 1 medium onion, quartered and sliced thin
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut in 1 inch strips
- 1 medium carrot, cut in very thin sticks 1-1/2 inches long
- 1 bunch thin asparagus, cut 1-1/2 inches long, discard bottom fourth
- 1-1/2 cup zucchini or summer yellow squash, cut in thin 1 inch strips
- 6 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 TBS + 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 3 TBS fresh sage, minced
- 1 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 3 TBS fresh oregano, minced
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 oz whole grain linguini pasta
- 4 oz Chevre goat cheese (optional)
- Bring salted water to a boil for pasta.
- Chop onion and garlic and let sit for 5 minutes to bring out their hidden health-promoting benefits.
- Chop remaining vegetables.
- Heat 1 TBS broth in medium stainless steel skillet. Healthy Sauté onion in broth over medium heat, stirring frequently for 3 minutes. Add vegetables in order given, waiting about 1 minute between each.
- Add tomatoes and broth and simmer for another couple minutes, until vegetables are barely tender, about 10 minutes. If needed, you can add a touch more liquid to keep moist. Add minced herbs. Season with salt and pepper.
- While vegetables are simmering, cook pasta according to package instructions and strain through colander.
- Toss pasta with vegetable mixture and top with goat cheese if desired.