Salmon in Citrus SauceIf you want to add over 100% of the daily value for those hard-to-find omega-3 fatty acids to your Healthiest Way of Eating try this delicious, easy-to-prepare salmon recipe. The tangy sauce is a great complement to the flavor of the salmon and it only takes minutes to prepare. Enjoy!
Prep and Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1-1/2 lbs salmon filets, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/2 medium sized onion, chopped
- 2 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 TBS + 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 TBS minced fresh parsley, or if you have it, green fennel tops
- salt and white pepper to taste
- Preheat broiler and place a stainless steel or cast iron skillet under broiler for about 10 minutes to get it very hot.
- Chop onions and garlic and let sit for 5 minutes to enhance their hidden health-promoting properties.
- While skillet is heating, place chopped onion, garlic, fennel seeds, 2 TBS lemon juice, and orange juice in a shallow, wide saucepan and cook on high heat for about 10-15 minutes to reduce to half the volume.
- Season salmon pieces with 2 tsp lemon juice, salt and pepper and place on hot pan from broiler skin side down and cook for about seven to ten minutes (depending on thickness). Return pan to broiler (approximately 5-7 inches from heat) and broil salmon for about 7 minutes depending on thickness (10 minutes per inch of thickness). Do not turn, as salmon is cooking on both sides at once.
- Remove salmon from pan, and place on platter. Season citrus sauce with salt and pepper and strain liquid over salmon. Sprinkle with finely chopped parsley.