Spicy Healthy Sautéed TofuThis is a wonderful meat-free addition to your Healthiest Way of Eating that only contains 164 calories! Enjoy!
Prep and Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 1 TBS dried arame or hijiki sea vegetables*
- 12 oz firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3/4 cup chopped scallion
- 1 TBS minced fresh ginger
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 TBS soy sauce
- 2 TBS mirin rice wine
- pinch of red chili flakes to taste
- salt and white pepper to taste
- *For more on the safety of sea vegetables, see this article
- Soak dried shiitake mushrooms in 1/2 cup water until soft (about 15 minutes). Slice, removing the stem. Retain mushroom soaking water.
- Place tofu on paper towels to drain some of the moisture while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Rinse and soak sea vegetables in warm water while preparing rest of ingredients. Squeeze out excess water before adding.
- Add the mushroom water to a 10-inch stainless steel skillet and bring to a boil. Add ginger, sea vegetables, mushrooms, scallion, mirin, and tofu, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Simmer for about 5 minutes.