Poached Eggs Over Collard Greens & Shiitake MushroomsThis recipe is a great one for dinner as well as breakfast. The shiitake mushrooms adds the unique umami Asian flavor to this dish.
Prep and Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Slice onions and press garlic and let sit for 5-10 minutes to bring out their health-promoting benefits.
- Bring 2" of water to a boil in a steamer pot.
- Rinse greens well. Roll or stack leaves and cut into 1/4" slices and cut again crosswise. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Steam collard greens, mushrooms and onions together for 5 minutes.
- While steaming greens, get ready for poaching eggs by bringing water and vinegar to a fast simmer in a small, shallow pan. You can start on high heat, and once it comes to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer before adding eggs. Make sure there is enough water to cover eggs.
- Mix together lemon juice, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Poach eggs until desired doneness. This will take about 5 minutes, or just until the white is set and the yolk has filmed over.
- Remove vegetables from steamer and toss with dressing. Remove eggs from water with a slotted spoon and place on plate of tossed greens.