WHFoods Menu: Seafood Asparagus with Garlic Mirin SauceThis easy-to-prepare recipe adds a combination of flavors that makes it both a complex and delicious addition to the World's Healthiest Foods 7-Day Menu. The crimini mushrooms and asparagus in this recipe are excellent sources or many B vitamins as well a selenium and the cod is an excellent source of low calorie protein. In fact, this dish (without the brown rice) contains only 254 calories so it's an exceptionally good dish for those looking to lose a few extra pounds!
Note: You will need to prepare ½ cup brown rice for this meal. This can be done ahead of time. Follow the directions on the package for best results.
Prep and Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1/4 cup onion, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 5-7 TBS chicken or vegetable broth
- 1-2 tsp
- 2 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh crimini mushrooms, quartered and sliced
- 1 cup cut in 1/2" pieces on diagonal (discard tough ends)
- 3 oz cod fillet cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 oz salmon fillet, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1 TBS mirin wine
- 1 tsp tamari soy sauce, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes cut in quarters
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- pinch red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and white pepper
- Serve over 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- Slice onion and chop garlic and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat 3 TBS broth in a 12-inch stainless steel skillet, covered. Add onion to pan and saute over medium high heat for 2 minutes, covered.
- Add 2 TBS broth, ginger, garlic, and mushrooms. Continue to cook, covered, for another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. You may need to turn down the heat.
- Add asparagus, cod and salmon, lemon juice, mirin, red pepper flakes, and tamari and stir to combine. Add 1-2 TBS additional broth if needed. Cover and simmer for 2- 3 minutes on medium heat. The fish will be opaque and asparagus bright green when done.
- Turn off heat and toss in tomatoes and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over rice.