Food Processor Method of Preparing Asian-Style Broccoli
Fill the bottom of the steamer with 2 inches water and heat, covered.
- You will need a food processor with at least an 8 cup capacity. Use the s-blade.
- Slice red onion thinly and set aside. Do not food process the onion.
- Chop or press garlic.
- Separate broccoli florets with small stems from large, thick stem. Chop florets and stems into even 1 inch pieces. Tightly pack to measure 1 ½ cups.
- Let vegetables sit 5 minutes before steaming.
- Pulse in food processor 6-8 times until the broccoli is is small, even pieces. Remove any large pieces and process again. Be careful not to over-process, or broccoli will become mushy when cooked.
- Place sliced onion in the steamer, then broccoli. Cover with tight-fitting lid and steam for 5 minutes, until bright green. After 5 minutes, vegetables begin to lose their bright green color, and are over-cooked. You can add the garlic for the last minute of cooking to mellow it's flavor.
- Transfer to a bowl and toss with remaining ingredients.